maven-users mailing list archives

From Julien Silland <julien.sill...@turn.com>
Subject Release preparation not removing SNAPSHOT suffix
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 01:23:30 GMT
Hi,

I'm in the process of fully automating the release of my artifacts which are currently checked-in
an internal git repo. I've configured my project with what I think are the correct scm settings
and have gotten a moderate amount of success, namely building a project and tagging a commit
with the right version (foo-1.0).

However, the documentation for the release:prepare phase indicates that the -SNAPSHOT suffix
in my pom.xml should be deleted as part of the tagging process:

From: http://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html
Change the version in the POMs from x-SNAPSHOT to a new version (you will be prompted for
the versions to use)

But that side-effect is nowhere to be found: after the phase ends, the remote pom.xml hasn't
been altered (it still declares 1.0-SNAPSHOT) even though it is tagged with foo-1.0 and the
local version of the pom.xml is bumped to 1.1-SNAPSHOT. I would have expected a git push to
happen before the tagging to change the pom.xml to a non-snapshot 1.0 version. Predictably,
trying to perform a release builds a 1.0-SNAPSHOT jar, which is not desired.

I may be expecting the wrong things to happen but would happily receive some guidance.

My release configuration is minimal:

<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
<version>2.4</version>
<configuration>
<scmCommentPrefix>Maven release plugin: </scmCommentPrefix>
</configuration>
      </plugin>

Thanks,
-jsi