maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Jar file not in maven
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:16:08 GMT
On 30/01/2013 4:54 PM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Am 30.01.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>> You are arguing with the guys who wrote Maven and are responsible for
>> maintaining it.
>
> Should I stand in awe from that?
>
> I doubt it.
> I have seen many holes punched into authority figures.
> In one instance, I was the one who did the punching.
>
> Besides, I have my own list of awesome projects. It's just that a
> lean, mean, Chomsky-0-capable, assembly-optimized (three lines source
> to 20 lines assembly) natural language phrase generator never met a
> widespread demand.
> Maven did, and Maven was the first to deliver a "good enough"
> solution. I don't want to belittle that, and I bet it has been the
> fruit of much work and thinking, but so are many other projects.
> Maven's clout doesn't entitle its makers to awe - or, put another way:
> Resting on your laurels is the wrong way to wear them.
>
>> They are giving you good advice about how to use it properly.
>>
>> Why not try it their way for a week and see if it solves your problems.
>
> I have come here because the recommended way just replaces a problem
> (binary jar import) with another one (repository management - I have
> no public server to put one on, and I would need to).

Why not just put one on your PC. It does not have to be public.

> That problem has remained unanswered, so I have no basis for trying
> anything out.
> Essentially, I've been asking for a fork, and you keep recommending I
> try out a hammer, and that it will somehow, magically, enlighten me
> and show me that all my problems are indeed nails.
> Okay, it's a metaphor and can be wrong like any metaphor, but it's my
> current state of knowledge, and I'd really like to see an argument
> that, somehow, my current problem is indeed a nail. It won't work if
> what I write is being ignored in favor of assumptions like "OMG he's
> still trying to shoehorn an SVN repo into carrying Maven repos" or
> "OMG he's ignoring stability issues" - no I'm neither, but somehow you
> guys let yourself get triggered into these assumptions whenever
> somebody talks about SCM, or downloads, or binary jars.
> It's really annoying and tiring to argue against such assumptions.
>
>> Stephen has tried to give you concrete reasons why your way will lead to
>> a constant battle.
>
> With emphasis on "tried".
> Ultimately, he failed because he didn't really understand what I was
> asking and argued based on assumptions that didn't hold.

He knows exactly what you are asking and what you want to do.

>> I can only tell you that our team was once where you are - starting out,
>> learning "the Maven way" without a repo.
>> Once we got the repo, a lot of good things happened in terms of our
>> understanding of the Maven way, our ability to deal with third party
>> jars and our ability to manage projects in a sensible and efficient way.
>
> I'll readily believe that. I'll also believe that it worked for your
> sitation.
> I don't see how it would work for me. I don't have a server that's (a)
> visible to all project members and (b) can carry a Maven repo.
> I'd do it on Maven Central, but somehow I doubt it's the right place
> for experimenting with MRMs. Besides, Central does (rightfully) have
> some strict rules in place, and struggling with strict rules and new
> workflows and new tools at the same time is a few too many unknowns at
> the same time to make success probably.

Spend a couple of dollars a month and put one on a cloud server if you
really can't do it internally.

>> I have also seen a lot of new people come in and have trouble getting
>> adjusted.
>> It leads to a lot of traffic before they get rid of the ideas that once
>> drove their builds and conformed to the Maven way of doing things.
>> Frequently it is an Ant mindset that slows adoption and sometimes it is
>> a homemade build methodology.
>
> No Ant mindset here.
> My mindset is a "make" one: The first-class citizens are build rules
> and artifacts, with the build rules creating the dependency graph
> between artifacts. (Heck, I even wrote a make variant in Rexx, as a
> student.)
> Unix make is inadequate for today's needs because it offers no way to
> easily construct build rules as variants of existing rules, because it
> has no good way to deal with dependency cycles, and because the
> makefile syntax is a pile of suck (by modern standards).
> However, the "build rules infer dependencies" mindset is still
> applicable.
>
> Ant is anathema from that perspective. It's just a different way to
> express build scripts, with no way to express dependencies. It was a
> good stopgap measure while make wouldn't work and no better
> alternatives were available.
>
> Maven is more interesting, since it has quite some very strong points
> (declarativiy, build stability, dependency management), but it also
> gets some things thoroughly backwards (plugins that sometimes run just
> in one phase and sometimes across phases, a badly documented set of
> conventions combined with a convention-over-configuration approach,
> configuration for a build step distributed over two, sometimes three
> plugins, pre-xxx and post-xxx phases already hinting that the next
> version of Maven will have pre-pre-xxx and post-post-xxx phases).
>
> Just my unenlightened view.
> And limited to GAV coordinates, dependencies, parent poms, and
> configuration mechanics, so I'm missing anything beyond that - MRMs
> and deployment, and maybe a few things more.
> I'd really love to have an MRM for the repo that m2e runs inside the
> Eclipse workspace. That would be useful; Eclipse's "Maven
> Repositories" view is extremely limited (essentially it's just a
> display of all GAV coordinates available, which is a start but just a
> start).

That is what we do. Eclipse/STS is eclipse with everything that you need
already installed.
We use the Nexus repo on our server for browsing oher repos and hosting
our own and carrying non-maven jars.

None of my guys can use DOS command line Maven.

If you want to do a SKype session, I can show you our Eclipse and Maven
Repo. Would that help?

Ron

Ron Wheeler
President