maven-users mailing list archives

From Joachim Durchholz ...@durchholz.org>
Subject Re: Jar file not in maven
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:47:09 GMT
Am 29.01.2013 19:42, schrieb Anders Hammar:
> The right/correct solution here is to setup an internal Maven repository
> where you deploy those jars to.

I still feel very uneasy about that, and I think I can pinpoint the
reason a bit better now:

One of the promises of Maven is that you can describe the entire build
process in the poms.
Manually installing to a repository is outside the poms; it just makes
that jar "magically appear". It would be okay for those jars where no
traceable origin is available anymore (the situation would be dubious
for other reasons though); however, it is NOT okay for those situations
where there's a perfectly valid traceable origin for the jar, such as a
stable company website to download it from, an SVN repo with a fixed
revision number to take it from, or something generated at the bytecode
level from otherwise available sources.

> It's been discussed so many times here by people trying to have an
> alternative solution blessed. There are other hackish ways to work around
> this, but you will then run into other issues. For sure.

Been there, done that, can show the bite marks.
Even got it working so that mvn install would do The Right Thing, but
m2e's Workspace Resolution wouldn't recognize the jar, so the toolchain
was still incomplete. (I have been unable to resolve that problem, not
even with the help of the m2e-users list. Dunno where to take it from
there, so I dropped it and am living with an even more hacky solution.)