maven-users mailing list archives

From Joachim Durchholz ...@durchholz.org>
Subject What's better, properties or configuration
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:10:23 GMT
E.g.

   <properties>
     <maven.compiler.source>1.7</maven.compiler.source>
     <maven.compiler.target>1.7</maven.compiler.target>
   </properties>

vs.

   <build>
     <plugins>
       <plugin>
         <version>3.0</version>
         <configuration>
           <source>1.7</source>
           <target>1.7</target>
         </configuration>
       </plugin>
     </plugins>
   </build>

I can see several points that might factor into a decision, but I'm not
sure which of them are relevant in practice:

- Configuration can be varied on a per-<execution> level, properties
cannot. Not so relevant for compiling where you typically split each
compiler run into a separate pom, more for other plugins.
- Properties can be varied using profiles, configuration cannot.
- At least for the compiler plugin, examples in the tutorials and docs
invariably show the configuration approach. (Is there a reason why
properties are generally not as good as configuration?)
- Properties are FAR more compact.
- When configuring a plugin, only a subset of its configuration is
usually taken from properties, so once you need to configure, using
properties does not give an advantage anymore.
- Anything else?

Regards,
Jo