maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Best way to retrieve multiple subsets from SVN?
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 04:39:58 GMT
On 23/01/2013 4:48 PM, Toolforger wrote:
> Am 23.01.2013 21:08, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>> You are probably over-automating things at this point.
>>
>> I would suggest getting your maven builds running, go through a full
>> release cycle and then look for ways to improve.
>> A good thing to remember is:
>> Thousands of products have been built with Maven; it is unlikely that
>> you want to do something so unusual that no one has done it before.
>
> Heh.
> I know I'm an envelope pusher and have the battle scars to prove it.
> So you're about number five or six giving me that speech - I tend to
> get it every three to five years.
> Somehow, following recipes doesn't quite work for me. Tools break at
> me if I do that, so I have learned to always push the envelope and
> hammer at the concepts until I grok them. There's always chips flying
> where I hammer - my mind or the concepts, sometimes both.

Not a bad thing to be a bit bold.:-)
> So while I can understand why you gave that speech, and have given it
> myself on occasion, I tend to ignore such speeches :-)
You are not the first.
It does tend to create a lot of traffic here until the person gets their
basic Maven processes under control and develops their own roadmap for
optimization.

>> http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=84 is an overview of how we
>> handle software development.
>
> Does not apply to my situation, which his that I'm importing jars from
> an external project that I have no control over.
I did not expect that it would fit exactly but I did want to show one
line of thinking about versioning of artifacts.

We do import jars as well.
Ours came from external projects that had licensing reasons for not
pushing their artifacts to Maven Central.

> Also, does not apply to what I'm asking, which is: "I have multiple
> jars from an SVN repository, how do I put the jars from a consistent
> set each to its own Maven coordinate?"

You manually put the jars in your Maven repo through its manual upload
procedure with some version number (nice if it relates to the version
that the authors gave them) and reference them as dependencies.
Maven does not really deal with SVN as a jar source.

Ron
> Regards,
> Jo

Ron Wheeler