maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Best way to retrieve multiple subsets from SVN?
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:08:13 GMT
You are probably over-automating things at this point.

I would suggest getting your maven builds running, go through a full
release cycle and then look for ways to improve.
A good thing to remember is:
Thousands of products have been built with Maven; it is unlikely that
you want to do something so unusual that no one has done it before.

http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=84 is an overview of how we
handle software development.

One of the things that we decided after a while, was that with Maven, we
really did not have to build version 1.10 of our project with all 70 of
our modules at version 1.10.
If the module ABC did not change from 1.8 to 1.10, then version 1.10
could include a dependency on ABC-1.8 and there was no reason to issue
an ABC-.10 with the only change being the version number.

This got to make more and more sense over time as the product stabilized
and the changes were restricted by the nature of the changes to a small
subset of the whole package.

Ron

On 23/01/2013 8:10 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Am 23.01.2013 13:44, schrieb Manfred Nilsson:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am going on a hunch here what your are trying to do, in my opinion
>> this is poorly supported by maven currently (I however guess you could
>> use the maven-release-plugin and create a tag
>
> Creating an SVN tag?
> No, that's not the point at all. I don't even have write access to the
> SVN repo :-)
>
> What I'm trying to solve is that need to orchestrate multiple builds
> based on a common revision number, picked from the HEAD revision at a
> given point in time.
>
>> in my experience it's
>> better to go with the solution to write down the SVN revision.
>
> What alternatives did you try?
> What were the problems that got solved by writing down the SVN revision?
>
> > And then
>> you might whan't to look into the jenkins plugin for build-pipline but
>> now i am just guessing what you are doing/ using ... so maybe look into
>> one of the many articles about setting up a "build pipeline" ... here is
>> one i found http://java.dzone.com/articles/how-build-true-pipelines
>
> Yes, that might be solving the issue.
> I'm hesitant to add yet another tool to the toolchain though.
> I'm still struggling with Maven, a multitude of plugins, and
> repository manager knowledge. I think Jenkins might be the straw that
> will break the camel's back, so I'll be bookmarking that for a later
> date.
>
> Hearing that an explicit revision will work does give me a working
> fallback strategy in case no other recommendations turn up. Thanks :-)
>
> Regards,
> Jo

Ron Wheeler
President