maven-users mailing list archives

From Joachim Durchholz ...@durchholz.org>
Subject Re: Packaging up pre-existing jar and source jar
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:43:00 GMT
Am 17.01.2013 08:10, schrieb Anders Hammar:
> You need to read up on Maven terminology. "deploy" means deploying/copying
> to a remote repo (outside your machine). What you seem to be aiming at is
> "install" as installing/copying to your local repo on your machine.

Been there, done that. Can't say that the docs are easy to navigate -
it's really hard to see whether you have seen everything relevant, and
if you want to find the exact definition of some terminology, googling
is useless because that terminology is used all over the place and
nobody links to the formal definition.

> But, you seriously need to look into how Maven is supposed to work.

Again, been there, done that, had the same problems.

I'm turning to this mailing list because the docs didn't work for me.
Don't blame me for not having grokked it all, I haven't had a chance for
that.

 > Trying
> to fight the Maven way will just cause you pain and us on the mailing list
> a lot of trouble trying to patch your work. Start by getting a repo manager
> and set up a remote repo. You need that!

Then please tell why I need that. What's going to go wrong without it.
(A link would be fine.)

> Ron, if you're listening here, could you please tell Joachim how you wasted
> years not using a repo manager before you saw the light?

No religious terminology like "see the light", "don't fight it", or
"Maven way", please.
I vastly prefer understanding over believing.
I also vastly prefer to be in control of the tools, instead of the tools
being in control of me.

I'm handing control to tools as I gain confidence in that they'll do
what I want.
Unfortunately, Maven doesn't really qualify (yet) because of the trouble
I'm having with the docs. (I'm not having that kind of trouble with the
Spring docs, by the way. Just to give feedback and a data point.)