maven-users mailing list archives

From "Winsor, Daniel" <daniel.win...@etrade.com>
Subject Optional dependency not overlaid
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 01:32:26 GMT
Hi,

I have declared an optional dependency, but it is not being overlaid with maven-war-plugin
v 2.0

//parent-of-everything/pom.xml

<plugin>

    <configuration>

        <overlays>

            <overlay>

                <artifactId>to-be-overlaid</artifactId>

                <includes>

                    <include>**</include>

                </includes>

            </overlay>

            <overlay>

                <!-- default self overlay -->

            </overlay>

        </overlays>

    </configuration>

</plugin>

//some-webapp-war/pom.xml

    <dependencies>

        <dependency>

            <artifactId>to-be-overlaid</artifactId>

            <optional>true</optional>

            <type>war</type>

        </dependency>

    </dependencies>

When optional is set to false, then

[INFO] Assembling webapp some-webapp-war in /target/some-webapp-war

[INFO] Expanding: /.m2/repository/to-be-overlaid.war into /target/to-be-overlaid

[INFO] Overlaying 1 war(s).

When optional is set to true, then no such overlaying happens.

However, according to optional dependencies, if some-webapp-war optionally depends on to-be-overlaid,
well it should show up in this first level dependency, just like normal.  What is going on
here?  And how can I best overlay a war to certain other wars while leaving them out of most
wars using parent-of-everything (I am currently using a property in the skip parameter in
maven-war-plugin)?

Thank you,
Daniel Winsor
Associate, IT Architecture