maven-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Seeking feedback on “Recursive Maven considered harmful”
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:22:21 GMT

On Dec 17, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 December 2012 15:34, Laird Nelson <ljnelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not saying that you only ever run it with "clean verify"
>
> I am not saying running with "clean install" is considered harmful.
>
> I am saying that *if* you _need_ to use "clean install" then your build is
> not the best it could be and you may have issues with your build that you
> haven't noticed.

To be fair, a lot of the "install hack" stuff I've seen is more historical and related to
issues in Maven <=2.2.1.

For example:

build a few modules that result in some jars/classes/whatever
build a maven plugin that uses those modules
use that plugin in later modules

That is likely one of the most common "install hack" cases as that never seemed to work correctly
(or at all) without actually installing the jars and plugins.   Honestly, until you mentioned
it today, I hadn't even tested this case with 3.0.4 to see if it's now fixed.   Seems like
it is.  Time to go update builds.  :-)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp