maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Why does mvn compiile using java 1.3?
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:39:05 GMT
We are not talking about making Maven only run on 7.
We just want to move the default compiler to 6 (at least) or 7.
You can always set it back to 1.3.
It is just odd for new projects to start up with Maven and suddenly find
than Maven wants to use 1.3 to compile code.

Please, no more warnings about perfectly correct behaviour.
I already get a bogus warning message if my parent pom and my project
are in the same group which is exactly the way its supposed to be.

There is nothing wrong with building with Java 7 if that is the run-time
that you want.

Your point about people building shared libraries is very good.
I don't know of any convention or build process that will indicate that
a Maven Artifact requires 1.7 (or 1.6 or 1.5) to run properly.
I guess that the library author will have to decide how far back into
Java history needs to be supported.

Does Apache have any policies or guidelines or Best Practices with
regard to the choice of Java version with which to publish libraries?

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President