maven-users mailing list archives

From Zak Mc Kracken <zakmc...@yahoo.it>
Subject Re: Repository Order
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:14:38 GMT
On 25/10/2012 02:47, Barrie Treloar wrote:
> Maven will needless contact all five of your repositories looking for
> artifacts that probably aren't even there.
> This will require a tcp/ip connection for each one and when you have
> large dependencies this can significantly slow down your build.
> Which is why we all recommend putting a Maven Repository Manager (MRM)
> in between you and the rest of the w
> orld.
I've always had a doubt about this and it's about giving the world the
option to do just 'mvn install/deploy' to build a project, after having
downloaded the sources.
If my project depends on some non-common repository, such as the company
repository, putting it in the POM makes external users/developers's life
as easy as that, if such repo is in some local settings only, you need
at least to document the extra-step about the need to add it in anyone
else's local configuration.

Does anyone know a compromise between these two extremes? Can
repositories declared in the POM be disabled by, eg, a profile in settings?

Thanks in advance,

Marco.