maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Independent module release strategies
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 00:33:33 GMT
On 15/10/2012 7:39 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Wayne Fay <waynefay@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would expect that suggested approaches for "solving" your problem
>> may depend a bit on the answers to these questions.
> Which come about because your software has a development lifecycle:
> Developing > Released > Maintained > End of Life
> Obviously each stage has different areas that will get changed.

or

Developing > Released > Maintained > Maintained > Maintained > Maintained >...>
End of Life

Developing > Released > Maintained > Maintained and Developed > Released And Maintained
> Maintained >...> End of Life

I think that a lot of newcomers to the forum are so tied up in the initial development that
they are not thinking about what happens when you need to support a package that has a user
base for multiple releases while fixing bugs and developing the next release.
Maven's ability to identify all of the right dependencies to reliably reproduce a release
done months ago is very helpful once you produce something useful that gets into production.
Careful management of tags and branches in our SCM is a priority for us.

This is perhaps more germane to the discussion on version ranges or profiles which I am pretty
convinced are concepts directly related to "pure evil" or the road to hell, in a real software
project.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler