maven-users mailing list archives

From "KARR, DAVID" <dk0...@att.com>
Subject Arguments for Maven vs. Gradle
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 21:20:34 GMT
At the risk of starting a flame war, what are some arguments for Maven vs. Gradle?

This is in the context of a change and risk-averse organization that currently has a large
Ant build, although with some associated Maven builds.

I see the advantages of Gradle as a much better Ant, but I would be concerned about losing
the advantages of Maven, like better integrated tool support.

One of the disadvantages of Gradle is the same as Ant, which is that it's very easy to have
two people do similar things in a completely different way.  Gradle makes it easier to reuse
things, but it doesn't seem like it nudges you that hard in that direction.

I can see the possibility of calling Groovy from Maven, but having that be Gradle code would
require the Gradle runtime, and I don't see a "Gradle Maven plugin" yet (although I believe
I've seen a "Maven Gradle plugin).  Even if you could do this, I'm not sure it makes sense
or provides significant value.