maven-users mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: What does the "tag" parameter for release:branch do?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 14:57:27 GMT
+1 Laird, that is for sure the best thing. I guess we need to clean up a few things in this
area.

An attempt for a small historical summary:

* <tag> was useful in CVS (not in all operations but in most)

* <tag> is almost useless in SVN as you get a different directory for branches and tags
* due to SVN being the dominating SCM for most of the last decade, we didn't take much care
about <tag>
* <tag> is useful again for a lot of the newer DSCMs which handle tags and branches
more like CVS than SVN.

and now we need to clean up the mess ;)
I personally think it will not be that hard to do.

strub