maven-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Release plugin: release project from within subdirectory
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:35:14 GMT
On 20 Jul 2012, at 6:10 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:

>> Maven is about doing things the right way, no hacks.
>
> Says the purist :P

This isn't purist, this is being disciplined.

>> Hacks impede understanding of a project by others (or yourself 6 months
>> later) and are an antipattern
>> What happens when 6 months down the line you need a new feature and decide
>> to upgrade the release plugin? You have relied on the hack, and the hack
>

> What happens when you are trying to deliver code but cannot because
> the tool of the righteous doesn't work for you?

Then you stop, you fix the bug, submit the fix upstream, and move on.

I did that a few weeks ago with a problem I was having with the maven-resources-plugin (among
others), I discovered my problem had been reported 5 years ago my more than one person, but
nobody had spent the hour or so that it took to fix it.

> Pragmatism always wins.

Lack of discipline always wins.

It drives me up the wall when I have to pick apart and undo some ugly hack that was put in
place because someone wasn't willing to get the original job done properly, and I'm left forced
having to debug the hack they put in place instead.

When you encounter a problem that seems to need a hack, picture yourself in six months time,
arms crossed glaring at yourself today, going "you could have fixed it and didn't, and now
look at how I am suffering...".

Regards,
Graham