maven-users mailing list archives

From Mark Derricutt <m...@talios.com>
Subject Re: Release Management with Many, Independent Projects...
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 04:11:48 GMT
Step 1) Separate your API interfaces into their own bundles, with their
own release cadence.
Step 2) Code solely against APIs, and against version ranges ( we use
[1.0.0,2.0.0) style.

Given things in OSGi land are service/interface orientated this works well.

We try to follow the semver style of version number, changing the major
(1.0.0->2.0.0) for backwards incompatible changes, and a minor
(1.0.0->1.1.0) for backward compatible, but forward-incompatible
changes.  Any downstream bundle that requires the new API changes and
simply change their lower-bound in the range: [1.1.0,2.0.0)