maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: migrating from Eclipse to a Maven build
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 13:25:21 GMT
My 2 cents.
Move from Eclipse to Eclipse STS from Springsource.
This gives you an Eclipse ready to go out-of-the-box with Maven and
everything else you need to develop in Java.

I believe that you can then add the maven nature to your project.

Adjust the Maven POM, if required, to point to your source directory as
it is. Maven is pretty flexible about many things.

Add the dependencies that you need to the POM.

At that point, you should be able to build in Eclipse with Maven. Just
point at the POM=> right click => Run As and select the Maven goal that
you want to run.

Not a big deal.

For new projects, just tell STS that you want a maven project and it
will build you one that works once you add your dependencies.

If you don't want to go to STS you can manually add m2 plug-in and
whatever else you need.
We started that way (plain Eclipse) but just lost so much time screwing
around with Eclipse plug-ins on every new Eclipse release that we moved
to STS. One donwload and a quick install and your new version of Eclipse
is ready to go.

We never use Maven outside Eclipse but others do.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler President Artifact Software Inc email:
rwheeler@artifact-software.com skype: ronaldmwheeler phone: