maven-users mailing list archives

From Wayne Fay <wayne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reducing SNAPSHOT redundancy
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 21:59:26 GMT
> So my question is: is there a common Maven best practice to mitigate such
> redundancy? Or do most people simply live with the proliferation of
> snapshots that occurs when using a naive deployment scheme?

I can't speak for "most people" but I can say that in my experience,
people simply live with the proliferation of snapshots and clean
things up regularly. Jenkins has a "build in clean repo" option and
the dependency plugin has a purge-local-repository option that may
also help if you are annoyed with the excessive use of disk space.

You may also consider moving to a nightly build if the raw number of
builds is too much to handle and you can trust your developers to not
break the build without the immediate feedback they are getting right
now from your setup. You can also change the configuration to check
for new snapshots "always."

> someone pushes to the Git repository. The unfortunate side effect is that
> all developers on the project generally have to redownload all submodule
> JARs once every 24 hours (whenever Maven snapshots are refreshed).

I guess I'm not sure what the problem is here. Are your artifacts
large such that this is seen as an inconvenience and a waste of time?
Or is it just annoying? Maybe the first thing your coworkers could do
when they get in is run a Maven build, then go get their coffee. By
the time it is done, they have all the latest code and they are ready
for the day.

Alternatively, you could separate the more stable parts of your
project so they are built less frequently.

Wayne