maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: circular dependency with common test classes
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 09:08:08 GMT
On 9 May 2012 06:51, Iordanov, Borislav (CIAO) <boris@miamidade.gov> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a relatively new Maven user. I found an exact description of my problem on StackOverflow,
but no solution:

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10174542/resolving-maven-circular-dependencies-between-test-testhelper-and-project-unde
>
> One can easily get around the problem by first building the core project with -Dmaven.test.skip=true.
But the Eclipse plugin is not so smart and I can't load my projects in Eclipse.

> I think this a legitimate case that Maven should be able to solve on its own since the
common test classes (Atesthelper in the StackOverflow post) are declared as a test scope dependency.

> Is there any solution available for this problem (splitting the main project in two is
not an option, and it would be a terrible hack just to satisfy a Maven limitation)? Any plugin
or configuration trick?

The solution is to put A_t in a separate module that just has tests,
breaking the circle.

You need to keep in mind the way the lifecycle works, i.e. that the
lifecycle is completed on each module before moving onto the next, so
even though the requirements of the test phase could be satisfied if
*all* modules are finished the compile phase, you will never have that
case.