maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Reducing SNAPSHOT redundancy
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 00:18:44 GMT
I am not a big fan of the automatic triggering of builds.

We have over 60 modules.

The batch building might make sense at the beginning of a product where
the modules are poorly defined and changes affect a lot of modules and
functionality shifts between projects quite often.

As we got into a mature situation where the modules were better divided
by function and were better layered through abstraction and factories,
the scope of changes and the scope of work for individual developers got
smaller.
This made it much more efficient for a development to only check out the
5 or modules that required fixing in a minor upgrade and leave the rest
of the modules alone and get them as dependencies.
We also stopped changing version of modules that did not change so that
application release 1.11 might consist of modules with versions 1.9,
1.10 and perhaps even earlier versions since even major releases did not
affect all modules.

Not a direct answer to your question but something that you might want
to think about as your application matures and you get to a better
module structure where the scope of maintenance fixes and new releases
gets easier to control.

Ron

On 07/05/2012 5:59 PM, Wayne Fay wrote:
>> So my question is: is there a common Maven best practice to mitigate such
>> redundancy? Or do most people simply live with the proliferation of
>> snapshots that occurs when using a naive deployment scheme?
> I can't speak for "most people" but I can say that in my experience,
> people simply live with the proliferation of snapshots and clean
> things up regularly. Jenkins has a "build in clean repo" option and
> the dependency plugin has a purge-local-repository option that may
> also help if you are annoyed with the excessive use of disk space.
>
> You may also consider moving to a nightly build if the raw number of
> builds is too much to handle and you can trust your developers to not
> break the build without the immediate feedback they are getting right
> now from your setup. You can also change the configuration to check
> for new snapshots "always."
>
>> someone pushes to the Git repository. The unfortunate side effect is that
>> all developers on the project generally have to redownload all submodule
>> JARs once every 24 hours (whenever Maven snapshots are refreshed).
> I guess I'm not sure what the problem is here. Are your artifacts
> large such that this is seen as an inconvenience and a waste of time?
> Or is it just annoying? Maybe the first thing your coworkers could do
> when they get in is run a Maven build, then go get their coffee. By
> the time it is done, they have all the latest code and they are ready
> for the day.
>
> Alternatively, you could separate the more stable parts of your
> project so they are built less frequently.
>
> Wayne

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc