maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Parent POM entires and Effective POM
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:51:03 GMT
On 24/04/2012 1:24 PM, Wayne Fay wrote:
>> The parent has a 1.0 with no RELEASE OR SNAPSHOTs and the
>> child poms do not specify the version explicitly.
> Unless you are actively making a release, your version should almost
> always have the -SNAPSHOT qualifier appended to it. So if you are
> working on version 1.0, then your pom should show version 1.0-SNAPSHOT
> until the brief moment in time when you perform the release -- then it
> will be 1.0 -- and then immediately after it should bump to version
> 1.1-SNAPSHOT.
>
>> <spring.batch.admin>1.2.1.RELEASE</spring.batch.admin>
>> <spring.data.version>1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT</spring.data.version>
> I can't speak for everyone, but I am definitely not a fan of declaring
> dependency versions in a tag like this. It just makes things more
> complicated. When I open a pom, I want to find the version right there
> along with the GroupId and ArtifactId in<dependency>  or
> <dependencyManagement>. Managing versions with properties is not a
> best practice IMO.
If you have the same dependency in many modules and you want to ensure
that all developers are using the same version since you likely want it
as "provided", you will have a lot of maintenance to do.

My "management principle" is that version selection is a project
management/team function and the developers of individual modules should
not be concerned about the versions of shared dependencies. If they find
a problem with the version selected by the team, then this should be
raised to the team level.

Specifying versions in module level POMs opens the door to a module
having the wrong version during the build which can show up as a method
not found if the module was built with a version later than the one
provided at runtime.

Ron