maven-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Arnold <arn...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Subject Uploading external libraries to the central repository without being the owner
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 07:17:28 GMT
Hi,

we want to make one of our maven projects Open Source. This project uses
various libraries (external projects) from the central maven repository,
yet 3 libraries (JGraphT 0.8.1, alignapi and org.semanticweb) are not in
the repository. I was asked to put these 3 projects into the central
repository to make our project executable and available.

Thus, I created 3 tickets on Sonatype Nexus Maven Repository in order to
upload the 3 libraries. I gave them the names of the external projects,
e.g., org.semanticweb. However, two tickets were denied shortly after
("alignapi is an invalid groupID" or "Do you or your organization own
the domain semanticweb.org?").

I have, as matter of fact, no ownership about these projects and
probably got the refusal for this reason. My question is now, how else
can I get these 3 libraries to the central repository or make them in
any way available so that users can set up and run our program. Do I
have to contact the project owners to upload their libraries to the
Maven repository? Would it be wiser to include the libraries in our open
source project and tell the user to add them to their local Maven
repository once the program is set up? I'm not very much acquainted with
Maven so far, so I appreciate any ideas and suggestions to solve this
problem.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick