maven-users mailing list archives

From "Thorsten Heit" <thorsten.h...@vkb.de>
Subject Re: Re: Re: useing profiles to control properties to drive version numbers in poms
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 08:54:42 GMT
Hi,

> > I'm using profiles at work for the sole purpose of deciding what to do
> > with the build artifact, i.e. activating different deployment targets
> > (application servers) for an EAR.
>
> I see this as a completely different task where you're simply using
> Maven as a utility tool. When using Maven as a "build tool", you will
> be deploying the artifacts to a repository. What you then do with the
> artifacts after that (like e.g. publish to an app server)  is outside
> of the build story, and should be handled as a separate task.

Ok, but in that case I'm just simplifying life:
We're having lots of projects building at least one EAR, and each EAR is
deployed to the same application server(s), but in different flavors:
developer (snapshot) build, integration build and/or release build. Using
a CI server configured with special jobs doing these deployment tasks
would result in having to implement the same tasks again and again. IMHO
this is more error-prone than having a default job in a parent pom doing
that...

Regards

Thorsten