maven-users mailing list archives

From Daivish Shah <daivish.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which is the BEST Approach to define Global POM.XML
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 04:38:00 GMT
Hi,

What if we want to change the version of the corporate POM ?

At that time we have to change at all projects to use this ?

<parent>
    <groupId>com.mosabuam.maven</groupId>
    <artifactId>super-pom</artifactId>
    <version>0.1</version>
</parent>

We are at the starting stage of MAVEN implementation throughout the COMPANY
so we expected to see lot of changes in this project.

What is the best practice on that too ? We have to select this project
version as SNAPSHOT for all the time ?

OR we have to use the RANGE ?

Dependency Version Ranges

Need to be able to declare minimum, maximum allowed versions of a
dependency (both min and max may be optional), and allow "holes" for known
incompatible versions.

Proposed syntax:

Range

Meaning

(,1.0]

x <= 1.0

1.0

"Soft" requirement on 1.0 (just a recommendation - helps select the correct
version if it matches all ranges)

[1.0]

Hard requirement on 1.0

[1.2,1.3]

1.2 <= x <= 1.3

[1.0,2.0)

1.0 <= x < 2.0

[1.5,)

x >= 1.5

(,1.0],[1.2,)

x <= 1.0 or x >= 1.2. Multiple sets are comma-separated

(,1.1),(1.1,)

This excludes 1.1 if it is known not to work in combination with this
library

Mathematical syntax chosen to avoid the use of - as it would conflict with
what is used in many version number, and because < and >= doesn't look nice
in XML. (,1.0] is used because infinity is not really helpful here.

Default strategy: Of the overlapping ranges, the highest soft requirement
is the version to be used. If there are no soft requirements inside the
prescribed ranges, the most recent version is used. If that does not fit
the described ranges, then the most recent version number in the prescribed
ranges is used. If the ranges exclude all versions, an error occurs.

Addition of ranges leads to additional necessary specifications on the
dependency element.

Looking for correct Approach on this.

thanks,
daivish.