maven-users mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quick question on Super POM plugin management usage
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:17:57 GMT
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Daivish Shah <daivish.shah@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use the super POM in my all of the project and seems like
> PluginManagement doesn't work like this way.
>
> Super-Pom Project
>
> pom.xml
>
> <build>
> <pluginManagement>
> <plugins>
> <plugin>
>

>  <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
> <version>2.8.1</version>
> </plugin>
>      </plugins>
> </pluginManagement>
> </build>
>

> Using Super POM in my other project as followed.
>
> pom.xml
>
>  <parent>
>  <groupId>com.super</groupId>
>  <artifactId>super-pom</artifactId>
>  <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
> </parent>
>
> <build>
> <plugins>
>                      <plugin>
>
>                           <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>
>                           <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>
>                       </plugin>
>                </plugins>
>         </build>
>

> When i try to use like this way compiler throws me WARNING/ERROR message
> and looks like i have to apply VERSION ID again when i use any of the
> plugin which is listed in my super POM Project. Which doesn't make sense to
> declare PLUGIN things in my SUPER POM Project.
>

> Any idea what's going on here ? Is that the way MAVEN designed or i am
> doing something wrong here ?
>
> Thanks,
> daivish.

javadoc is a reporting plugin.
You will probably need to *duplicate* the information in the
<reporting> section.
See http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-443 for more details.

I think you can leave out the version from the pluginManagement section.
It may depend on whether you ever want to run javadoc directly, which
is normally not what you want, you want to run all the reporting stuff
via "mvn site"