maven-users mailing list archives

From Ziggy <zigg...@gmail.com>
Subject Maven - Building a single war file from multiple modules
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:08:11 GMT
Note: Also posted at
stackoverflow.com/questions/9584706/maven-building-a-single-java-servlet-based-war-file-from-multiple-modules

I posted a question last week on how i can build dependent modules and the
result was that it was recommended that i use a build tool like Maven or
Ivy. I decided to use Maven to try and achieve what i would like to do. My
project basically builds a single war file which is deployed to Tomcat. The
modules themselves are part of the final war file. Here is an example
structure of the modules

[code]
customerModule
    |-webapp
        |-jsp
            |-customer
                |-findCustomer.jsp
                |-addNewCustomer.jsp
                |-deleteCustomer.jsp
    |-src
        |-com
            |-mycompany
                |-customer
                    |-FindCustomerAction.java
                    |-AddCustomerAction.java
                    |-DeleteCustomer.java
[/code]

[code]
productModule
    |-webapp
        |-jsp
            |-product
                |-productCustomer.jsp
                |-addNewProduct.jsp
                |-deleteProduct.jsp
    |-src
        |-com
            |-mycompany
                |-product
                    |-FindProductAction.java
                    |-AddProductAction.java
                    |-DeleteProduct.java
[/code]

[code]
commonModule
    |-webapp
        |-css
            |-style.css
        |-jsp
            |-templates
                |-coreTemplate.jsp
    |-src
        com
            |-mycomany
                |-common
                    |-Logger.java
                    |-Access.java
    |-META-INF
        |-MANIFEST.MF
        |-context.xml
    |-WEB-INF
        |-lib
            |-oraclejdbc.lib
            |-log4j.lib
            |-common.lib
        |-struts-config.xml
        |-tiles-def.xml
        |-web.xml
[/code]

As you can probably see, the above will all collectively form one
application. What i would like to do is to end up with an artifact for each
module. Because of the mixture of file types(jsp,css,java) i am not quite
sure what is a suitable artifact. The diagram below show the structure of
the war file i would like to end up with.

[code]
MyApp.war
    |-webapp
        |-css
            |-style.css
        |-jsp
            |-customer
                |-findCustomer.jsp
                |-addNewCustomer.jsp
                |-deleteCustomer.jsp
            |-product
                |-productCustomer.jsp
                |-addNewProduct.jsp
                |-deleteProduct.jsp
            |-templates
                |-coreTemplate.jsp
    |-META-INF
        |-MANIFEST.MF
        |-context.xml
    |-WEB-INF
        |-lib
            |-oraclejdbc.lib
            |-log4j.lib
            |-common.lib
            |-customerModule.jar
            |-productModule.jar
        |-classes
            |-com
                |-mycomany
                    |-common
                        |-Logger.class
                        |-Access.class
        |-struts-config.xml
        |-tiles-def.xml
        |-web.xml
[/code]

A couple of notes
    - The java files in commonModule are built and end up in WEB-INF/classes
    - The java files for the customerModule end up as a jar file in
WEB-INF/lib
    - The java files for the productModule end up as a jar file in
WEB-INF/lib
    - All of the jsps,css end up in the root of the war file

What is the best way i should store the artifact for each module in the
repository?

- I could use a jar file but this cant hold the html type files(jsp,css,js
etc)
- Each module (except the commonModule) will contain a jar file + the jsp,
css files. I am thinking of storing the built artifact as a zip file and
extract it when the MyApp.war is built to build the war file?
- Can i store the artifact for each module as a war file even though only
one has a web.xml file?

How can i implement this using Maven

- I have been investigating Maven and found that it might be possible to
have a multi module project with the following structure

MyApp.pom (parent project)
    commonModule.pom
    customer.pom
    product.pom

- If i zipped up the modules in the repository how would i refer to them
from the parent project and unzip them to build the final war file?
- Is it possible to automatically trigger the build of the parent project
if any of the child projects are built?
- I havent figured out how to maintain the version of each of the child
projects. If i build the customer project, how does the parent project know
that there is a newer version of the customer.zip (or .jar) in the
repository?
- Assuming the repository currently contains the following

[code]
    |-productModule.v.0.1.zip
    |-customerModule.v.0.1.zip
    |-commonModule.v.0.1.zip
[/code]

    If i rebuild, the customerModule and then rebuild the war file buy
building the parent project, does maven rebuild all of the other modules in
the repository even if they have not changed? How exactly will this work?

Is there an example project anywhere that demonstrate how to achieve the
above? Any links or resources which show an example of the above would be
very usefull.