maven-users mailing list archives

From Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which is the BEST Approach to define Global POM.XML
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:29:34 GMT

On 2012-03-15 3:35 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Eric Kolotyluk wrote:
>
>> What I do is have a top-level POM like (see below), and then I have my
>> top level project POMs reference that (see further below). This may not
>> be the best example, as I am still in the process of building the
>> infrastructure, but
>>
>>   1. I put the Parent POM in its own place in source control and I
>>      manually deploy it with Maven when I make changes.
>>   2. You need to do this before creating any Project POMs that reference
>>      it because they should reference it via Maven and not the file
>>      system - if you work in a large company you will soon discover why.
>>   3. There is of course a bootstrapping issue because now the project
>>      POMs need to know how to find your Repository Manager, which is why
>>      I include that information in the top level (Corporate) POM so
>>      people can use it as a reference.
>>   4. As you may gather I am using Sonatype's Nexus as a Repository Manager.
>>   5. We are still developing our corporate repository infrastructure so
>>      the content of the Corporate POM will evolve over time as our
>>      corporate governance and policies are better codified.
>>
>> Does that help?
> [snip]
>
>> <modules>
>> <module>platform.Java</module>
>> <module>platform.NET</module>
>> </modules>
> [snip]
>
> It's a bad idea to declare modules in a global (resp. corporate POM). Such a
> POM should be a project on its own with no submodules. Or do you think the
> Apache parent POM references all projects at Apache that use Maven directly
> (or indirectly)?

FYI - those modules were not declared in the top level Corporate POM,
they were declare in the Project  POM. The example Corporate POM had no
modules. In the original response I gave the Corporate and Project POMs
were separated by a - - - - - - - - - - line. While Jörg makes a good
point, the point did not pertain to my examples.