maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:55:52 GMT
On 01/03/2012 2:43 PM, offbyone wrote:
> Ok so I should create a base pom with a war configuration and then a separate
> pom for each site that depends on this with overlays to add the extra
> configuration file.
> I will try.
>
> If I am interpreting your comments correctly, profiles allow for a user to
> flaten a maven build deployment, but this is a bad practice and it is better
> to make your maven structure deep.
>
> So are profiles going to be deprecated?   I would think I am not alone in
> getting turned down the wrong path because most of the documentation/howtos
> I have found point to using profiles.
There are some uses for profiles that seem harmless so it is a
documentation issue.

It is fairly common in Apache documentation for the programmers to make
a big deal about all the wonderful things that the package can do.
They are not particularly concerned about "Best Practices".

The most common usage is often left out of the documentation since it is
"dull" or not very impressive.
This sometimes means that obscure usage of features or seldom used
features are heavily documented while the main use case is  not described.

New Maven users often fall into the trap that you were headed into.

A really simple "Best Practice" that most people use, is hard to find in
the documentation while an obscure "Worst Practice" is described because
it shows how clever the software developers are and how powerful the
product is.

There should be a "Best Practice" section on the Maven site describing
the best way to implement the common software development patterns.

There are not really a lot of cases to consider but every new Maven user
has to sort out their own case.

Ron