maven-users mailing list archives

From "Lyons, Roy" <Roy.Ly...@cmegroup.com>
Subject RE: There is a way to override distributionManagement in Maven
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:35:08 GMT
Actually, this makes some sense to me.  If you really want to test out your build scripts,
but do not want to make actual changes to the corporate repo, you would want to instead publish
to a temporary area.  You don't actually want to disable the "deploy" but you don't want it
overwriting your current binaries since Java was so awesome as to always create binaries with
a new md5sum (AWESOME feature let me tell you...).

I would be interested in the outcome of this as well, since at the moment our only way of
setting up a test environment is to create entirely new code repos and update poms.  Of course
code and poms get out of date -- so unexpected "goodness" has the ability to creep up on us
during production builds.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Connolly [mailto:stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:45 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: There is a way to override distributionManagement in Maven

Take a step back and try and explain exactly what the problem is that you think you are trying
to solve.

I have a sneaky feeling you are trying to get functionality similar to staging/promotion available
from the good repository managers (iirc nexus free does not, but nexus pro and artifactory
certainly have the capability, I would need to check archivia, but I suspect it might)

On Tuesday, 27 March 2012,  <jose.nunez-zuleta@barclays.com> wrote:
> Hello Maven users,
>
> I have a project master pom.xml with a distribution management section
defined like this:

>  <distributionManagement>
>    <repository>
>      <id>one</id>
>      <name>Blah Managed Releases Repository</name>
>      <url>http://XXXX:8080/archiva/repository/one/</url>
>      <layout>default</layout>
>    </repository>
>    <snapshotRepository>
>      <id>snapshots</id>
>      <name>Blah Managed Snapshots Repository</name>
>      <url>http://XXXX:8080/archiva/repository/snapshots/</url>
>      <uniqueVersion>true</uniqueVersion>
>      <layout>default</layout>
>    </snapshotRepository>
>  </distributionManagement>
>
> I want to be able to override this values on a test and production
> setup,
having the production setting enabled by default; After reading the Maven site it seems than
the only way to do this is by using profiles but after some reading on this list it seems
than the are not a good choice (many caveats).

> There is a cleaner way to achieve this?
> Can someone point me to some examples? I'm not sure what to put where
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Jose
>
> Barclays is one of the world's leading banks, and we believe that by
continuing to integrate the organisation we can better deliver the full power of Barclays
to customers, clients and the communities in which we work. As a visible sign of that integration
we are moving to a single Barclays brand for the majority of our divisions, including those
formerly known as Barclays Capital, Barclays Wealth and Barclays Corporate.

> This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged
> or
otherwise protected from
> disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do
> not
duplicate or redistribute
> it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the
sender that you have received
> it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an
> offer
to buy or sell or a
> solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or
> other
financial product or
link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer.
> By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays
> offers
premier investment banking
> products and services to its clients through Barclays Bank PLC, a
> company
registered in England
> (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place,
> London,
E14 5HP.  This email may