maven-users mailing list archives

From kdobrik <kdob...@gmail.com>
Subject Transitive Dependencies for Unused Artifact
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:11:39 GMT
Hi guys,
I have the following use case. Project with several modules that inherit a
parent POM. Let's say we have 5 modules (e.g. A, B, C, D, E) . In 3  of them
(e.g. A-C) we need ArtifacX. Let's say ArtifacX has a transitive dependency
to log4j version X.

My question is:
If I move ArtifacX dependency into the parent POM (inherited by all 5
modules!), what will happen with the modules that do not need ArtifacX (e.g.
D and E), but make use of log4j? Should I expect that it is possible to
pollute them with the transitive dependency to log4j (let's say v.Y)
introduced by ArtifacX into the parent POM? Do not forget that in fact D and
E do not need ArtifacX, but need log4jX?

Thank you in advance,
kdobri