maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: Is Maven the answer?
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 07:22:46 GMT
Adding to the valid observations of others, I'd first consider the size of the project, number
of people that are going to be using it and their experience with Maven.

If you want do to such a build cleanly with Maven, the best way to do it is by creating or
obtaining plugins for the various tasks.  There actually is a PHP plugin, for instance, and
others would be simple to make.  But if it's just a few people that know Maven and hoards
of others that complain about it being there or JVM languages being a part of the build, it's
just asking for problems.  For instance, you will probably find the team assigning any and
all issues with the build to you.

OTOH, if you have a large organization that is going to use the build and a majority knows
Maven already, plugins and lifecycle are still quite applicable and might be more enjoyable.

Maven can solve this problem just fine, but since dependency resolution and artifact versioning
/ releases may not be primary requirements for you, the non-technical issues Maven creates
may outnumber the issues that it resolves.

$0.02... Brian