maven-users mailing list archives

From Billy Newman <newman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to deploy with 'classifier'
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:44:27 GMT
That still does not help. I do not have a war/ear. I have a jar. I is standalone and will not
run in a container. Jar will not work without the properties file in which it is backed. There
is proprietary info in the different properties files and my company will not let me include
certain properties files to certain places.  It really is coding by properties as the jar
cannot function without the properties, even the unit tests will not run with he properties
file.

I still see no reason why I cannot tell maven which properties file to build into the jar.
When that happens why not label the jar for which env it was intended for?

Previously I would build the jar when the system was built, so it would need to be built every
time even when there were no code changes. The unit test also ran (which take a while ) again
for no reason since there were no code changes.

I read:
The classifier allows to distinguish artifacts that were built from the same POM but differ
in their content. It is some optional and arbitrary string that - if present - is appended
to the artifact name just after the version number.
As a motivation for this element, consider for example a project that offers an artifact targeting
JRE 1.5 but at the same time also an artifact that still supports JRE 1.4. The first artifact
could be equipped with the classifier jdk15 and the second one with jdk14such that clients
can choose which one to use.

So if I can kick off two builds one for a jdk5 jar and another for a jdk6 jar both the same
version so that the are stored in the same place in the repository but differ by classifier.
Then why not kick off  a couple builds that are meant for different envs whenever the code
changes, bump the version, test the changes and make them all available in the repo?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 29, 2012, at 4:02 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> Argh!!!!
>
> You're doing it wrong.
>
> The JAR/WAR/EAR/etc should be independent of the environment in which
> it works. If you want to bundle default properties for when no
> properties file is to be found, that is fine. But it is a great
> ANTI-PATTERN to put environment specific resources into your
> artifacts.
>
> Maven is going to fight you all the way.
>
> Here is how you would do things with a .war/.ear file, where there are
> a number of options (a subset of the options works for .jar files):
>
> * Use context parameters in the servlet/application container
> * Use JNDI to expose the parameters
> * Use System properties to expose the configuration
> * Put the environment specific parameters in resource files on the classpath
> * Use a repackaging script immediately prior to deployment to the
> container that unpacks the archive, adds the configuration files, and
> repacks it
>
> All of these are considered outside the scope of Maven.
>
> Maven's responsibility for building your artifact ends when it has
> delivered an environment independent artifact into the Maven
> Repository.
>
> Your responsibility does not end there. To then (I am going to use the
> word 'ship' in place of 'deploy' because people confuse maven's use of
> 'deploy' with application container, and operations teams use of the
> word) ship your application, you take the artifact from the Maven
> Repository, configure it (if necessary) for the environment in which
> it will be shipped and put it into that environment.
>
> If you want Maven to help with that, I would take a look at the
> ship-maven-plugin@mojo or the cargo set of plugins... both of which
> operate, in this context, outside of the standard Maven lifecycle,
> i.e. after Maven has completed its responsibilities.
>
> HTH
>
> -Stephen
>
> On 29 February 2012 00:51, Billy Newman <newmanw10@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So for reasons I don't want to get into I have a jar that is backed by a properties
file. That properties file is different for different environments. What I want to end up
with is something like:

>> myapi-1.0-dev.jar
>> myapi-1.0-test.jar
>> myapi-1.0-ops.jar
>>
>> Where dev, test, and ops are different flavors of the jar specified by the classifier.
>>
>> My real question was is how do I set the classifier such that it would create one
of these. The answer is in the maven-jar-plugin you can set a configuration with a classifier.

>> <classifier>${env}</classifier>
>>
>> Then I setup a Jenkins build that will execute a deploy for each of my flavors by
setting the env property differently for each execution.

>> env=dev
>> env=test
>> env=ops
>>
>> Then when I or anyone makes changes to the jar they can update the version in the
Pom file and run he Jenkins task to deploy all three flavors. Making them all available for
all groups to grab out of my repository.