maven-users mailing list archives

From <jose.nunez-zul...@barclayscapital.com>
Subject RE: How to make sure developers use the latest versions of dependencies?
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:10:12 GMT
Thanks for your help Wayne,

I'll dig further in the documentation and will come back to the list if I have more questions.

--Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Fay [mailto:waynefay@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 10:37 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: How to make sure developers use the latest versions of dependencies?

> -          Tell the Maven pom to retrieve the 'HEAD' of the release version every
time, so there is not need to put a specific version on the pom file?

No.

> -          Is this something that can be solved with Snapshots?  Maybe I can deploy
both to the release and the snapshot (using profiles?)

Yes, this is exactly what many people use SNAPSHOTs for. You keep the
version as eg 1.4-SNAPSHOT until you have completed the features you
had planned for that version and then release 1.4, then bump your
version to 1.5-SNAPSHOT (and you can always use a 1.4.1-SNAPSHOT
branch for bug fixes etc).

While you are building and deploying SNAPSHOTs on a daily basis, Maven
instances should automatically see them and pick them up the next time
your coworkers do their own builds. The frequency of checking for
these updates in the repo (I assume you are using a Repo Manager like
Nexus etc) is set in settings.xml.

This forces something of a design by contract approach to your own
code and APIs which is a good thing.

Wayne