maven-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Walsh" <mwa...@chartwelltechnology.com>
Subject RE: Difference between compile and provided scope for jar artifacts
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:04:00 GMT
Are you sure about that? I believe provided go on the compile classpath
as well.

To quote the maven docs:

Provided
This is much like compile, but indicates you expect the JDK or a
container to provide the dependency at runtime. For example, when
building a web application for the Java Enterprise Edition, you would
set the dependency on the Servlet API and related Java EE APIs to scope
provided because the web container provides those classes. This scope is
only available on the compilation and test classpath, and is not
transitive.