maven-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Sewe <s...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Odd failure with maven-checkstyle-plugin in pluginManagement
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:54:08 GMT
Hi,

I have encountered a very odd failure when adding the
maven-checkstyle-plugin to my pluginManagement section. Below is the
simplest POM that triggers this error (both under Maven 3.0.3 and
3.0.4-RC3):

> <project ...>
>   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>   <groupId>org.example</groupId>
>   <artifactId>example</artifactId>
>   <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>   <build>
>     <pluginManagement>
>       <plugins>
>         <plugin>
>           <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>           <artifactId>maven-ckeckstyle-plugin</artifactId>
>           <version>2.8</version>
>         </plugin>
>     </pluginManagement>
>   </build>
> </project>

A "mvn clean install" runs just fine, but as soon as someone actually
tries to do something with the pluginManagement entry (a "mvn
help:effective-pom" already triggers this), I get the following warning.

> [WARNING] The POM for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-ckeckstyle-plugin:jar:2.8 is missing,
no dependency information available
> [WARNING] Failed to retrieve plugin descriptor for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-ckeckstyle-plugin:2.8:
Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-ckeckstyle-plugin:2.8 or one of its dependencies could
not be resolved: Failed to read artifact descriptor for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-ckeckstyle-plugin:jar:2.8

Note the packaging of "jar" in the above. AFAIK, it should be
"maven-plugin" instead.

At any rate, the above is really an error rather than a mere warning.
Any attempt to actually use the maven-checkstyle-plugin in build/plugins
uses the plugin's default configuration rather than any configuration
configured build/pluginManagement/plugins.

I strongly suspect this is a bug. Can someone please point me to the
right issue tracker for this? (I don't think it's the plugin's fault.)

Best wishes,

Andreas