maven-users mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should a plugin appear in pluginManagement if it already appears in build/plugins?
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:14:22 GMT
On 10 September 2011 13:19, Anders Hammar <anders@hammar.net> wrote:

>>> Yes, and the execution declaration.
>>
>> Sorry, what do you mean by that?
>>
>> Are you saying that there are parts of the pluginManagement
>> definitions that are not applied to build/plugins?
>> If so, is there any point in having the execution declaration in the
>> pluginManagement section?
>
> Ok, now we're talking advanced stuff. I would only put the execution
> declaration in the pluginMgmt section if it would be something that is
> to be reused by several children projects. Otherwise I would put the
> declaration in build/plugins/plugin in the project it belongs.
> But there are exceptions to this of course. One would be if you want
> to configure the default execution (the one from CLI) differently than
> the one(s) bound to the lifecycle. Then you need to re-define the
> default execution (which is the one from CLI) in pluginMgmt and for
> that execution add the configuration you want (thus, within the
> execution section, not on plugin level).

So what you appear to be saying is that the pluginManagement execution
configuration *is* inherited?
But that you might not want to provide the execution config there if
it is not generic.

If I understand correctly, then supposing I want the same config
(execution and all) everywhere it is used,
then I can use pluginManagement in the parent to define everything.

If parent and all its children use the plugin, then reference the bare
plugin (no config) in the parent/build/plugins.
Otherwise reference it (no config) in the child/build/plugins

The pluginManagement settings will I assume apply to all CLI (i.e.
goal) invocations.
This is presumably because individual goal invocation is not part of a
phase and so ignores what is in build/plugins