maven-users mailing list archives

From Wayne Fay <wayne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plugins not properly loading properties
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:19:25 GMT
> How does this work when you have to deploy the same artifact to 10 different
> environments?
>
> 10 profiles and build the artifact 10 times?

We get this question so often on this list, and similar questions. You
should check the archives for various comments.

The standard answer is "use JNDI" or some other DI
technique/framework. Bundle all environment settings into the artifact
and use some method to tell your app or app server which settings to
use for this specific server. Or extract all settings into a single
"configurations" artifact if you'd prefer.

This also guarantees that the artifact you perform QA on is identical
(same code etc) to the artifact you deploy to PROD which is a
requirement for most sensibly-defined environments. If you build 10
artifacts (one per environment) as you suggested then there is no such
guarantee.

Wayne