maven-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Sewe <s...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Difference between build/extensions/extension and build/plugins/plugin/extensions?
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 15:13:35 GMT
Hi all,

what is the difference between build/extensions/extension and
build/plugins/plugin/extensions set to true. It seems somewhat redundant
(yes, I could use a property) to have to specify the plugin's version
twice, as in this snippet from the maven-archetype-plugin's site:

> <project>
>   <packaging>maven-archetype</packaging>
>   <build>
>     <extensions>
>       <extension>
>         <groupId>org.apache.maven.archetype</groupId>
>         <artifactId>archetype-packaging</artifactId>
>         <version>2.1</version>
>       </extension>
>     </extensions>
>
>     <pluginManagement>
>       <plugins>
>         <plugin>
>           <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>           <artifactId>maven-archetype-plugin</artifactId>
>           <version>2.1</version>
>         </plugin>
>       </plugins>
>     </pluginManagement>
>   </build>
> </project>

And on a similar note: Are extensions "plugin-managed" or do I really
have to repeat the version twice in the above? The output of
help:effective-pom seems to suggest that extensions are not managed: if
I leave out build/extensions/extension/version in the above, the
effective POM also lacks the version element.

I hope that somebody can enlighten me.

Best wishes,

Andreas