maven-users mailing list archives

From Guillaume Polet <guillaume.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of nexus has elapsed or updates are forced
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:00:55 GMT
Le 1/09/2011 16:45, Eric Kolotyluk a écrit :
> Interesting - thanks for sharing that.
>
> At the moment I do not really need to change versions, I was experimenting
> to see if I could understand the process. Do I have the following ideas
> right?
>
>     1. I changed my version from 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT to 0.0.2-SNAPSHOT as a test
>     to see what happens. Since I have not actually done a release, then
>     technically I really do not need to increment the version.
Yes indeed, this is not needed. Once you have created a release,
requests for the snapshot will be answered with the release version and
it is strongly discouraged to overwrite a release.
>     2. Would the normal practice be to:
>        - Perform a mvn release
>        - Create a new SCM branch from the current release on the main branch
>        - Increment the version(s) on the main branch
That would be my way to do it.
>     3. Or would it be better to:
>        - Create a new SCM branch from main
>        - Perform a mvn release from the new branch
>        - Increment the version(s) on the main branch
That would not be my way to do it, but I guess this is as valid.
>     4. In my case I have less than a dozen modules and they are tightly
>     related, so I want all the versions to match the parent. It would be nice if
>     I could just change the version of the parent POM and have everything fall
>     out from there, but I seem to have to change it elsewhere too.
Maven release is your friend there: on multi-module projects, you can
ask to move all version to the same new one. If you do this manually,
then yes, there is no alternative but to modify all pom's file.

> Cheers, Eric
Guillaume

> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Ron Wheeler
> <rwheeler@artifact-software.com>wrote:
>
>> We started by changing the version of every module but eventually went to a
>> policy of only changing the versions of modules that changed.
>>
>> The project was a portal with 70+ modules so it was a PITA to change all
>> the versions.
>> Not a big project overhead but we got tired of it and once we had moved
>> much of the architecture to SOA with Web Services, it became clear that in a
>> new release of the portal, most of the modules did not actually change.
>>
>> We then just reversioned the changed modules, produced a new parent version
>> and a new version of the core modules that dealt with the persistence since
>> the database had changed.
>>
>> We used a simple spreadsheet to document the versions of the modules that
>> were required to build the new version of the portal.
>>
>> Made our lives a lot simpler and we started to think of our own code in the
>> same way that we viewed third party libraries - if we did not need to
>> upgrade to fix a bug or get new functionality then we left the old version
>> intact.
>>
>> This obviously had a lot of benefits in testing and reduction of useless
>> builds.
>>
>> We did not use the parent for managing the versions of dependencies in the
>> modules since we had a better scheme for managing that.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>> On 01/09/2011 3:59 AM, Guillaume Polet wrote:
>>
>>> For me, there are two strategies there:
>>> 1) You use the parent pom as an aggregator (your parent pom reference its
>>> children through modules) of several projects that always work together and
>>> make a coherent package-->parent/children should keep the same version, it's
>>> just simpler to anyone's mind and simpler to maintain.
>>> 2) You use a parent pom to define well-defined practices, coherent set of
>>> dependencies, general properties used across all your projects, plugins and
>>> their configuration that you don't want to repeat in all your projects, but
>>> the parent does not know about its "children"-->Then children should
>>> necessarily follow your  parent version
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Guillaume

cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until