maven-users mailing list archives

From Trent Larson <tlar...@max.com>
Subject How can we avoid "checking for updates" for jars we already have?
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 22:53:17 GMT
Our Maven builds suddenly started failing a few days ago, apparently because
our chosen mirror (for repo1.maven.org/maven2) is no longer accessible.

Here is the output:

[INFO] artifact org.springframework:spring-core: checking for updates from
central
[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'artifact
org.springframework:spring-core' could not be retrieved from repository:
central due to an error: Error transferring file
[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

No versions are present in the repository for the artifact with a range
[2.5.2,3)
  org.springframework:spring-core:jar:null

I can think of a few solutions:

- Let's just avoid downloading jars we already have!  We've got the
following in our .m2/repository:
org/springframework/spring-core/2.5.5/spring-core-2.5.5.jar

This seems like the simplest solution... I guess I don't understand why
Maven is checking external repos for something it already has.  BTW, we
don't depend on spring-core directly, so I assume it's due to a transitive
dependency from this:
   <dependency>
      <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
      <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
      <version>2.5.5</version>
    </dependency>

- Maybe there's a metadata setting for those Spring artifacts where I can
force it to stop going external.  (I tried specifying spring-core directly
so it won't look elsewhere, to no avail.)  It looks like it's seeking some
"range" of versions for some reason.  Maybe there's a way to specify the
version of this transitive dependency in some other dependency somewhere.
But I don't see any way to do those things.  (How can I see which other
thing is including this particular spring-core?)

- If we can get to repo1.maven.org/maven2, that would be nice, but we
cannot.  (At least, it doesn't come up in my browser.)  And we used to use a
mirror, but now we can't get to any of the known mirrors, either.  Someone
just mentioned that there have been issues due to the recent IP
changes<http://www.sonatype.com/people/2011/07/the-central-repository-is-getting-faster-are-you-ready-for-the-new-ips/>,
and that seems to say that repo1 is still available... but shouldn't it come
up in my browser?

Thanks for any ideas.
Trent