maven-users mailing list archives

From Mark Derricutt <m...@talios.com>
Subject Re: gitflow releases with maven?
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:52:26 GMT
Before cutting the release, I start a new release branch, do the maven release, then when I'm
happy, finish the release branch, THEN push to origin

$ git flow release start 3.4.5
$ mvn release:prepare release:perform
$ git flow release finish 3.4.5
$ git push && git push --tags

At least thats my work flow.  There may be one or two fix up patches before I finish the release
branch, if I need to roll back the release and tweak something ( I'll git tag -d the maven
made tag if things for that far ).

After the git flow release is finnished, both master and develop sit at the next -SNAPSHOT
version, this actually works out nice as it means you can then at some point do a "git flow
hotfix start..." if need be to patch the last release ( which branches from master ).

Master will always be the code at the time the git flow release branch finished, it's not
necessarily a direct match to your maven repo.

As for our feature branches, we also use Gerrit for code review, so tend to start a feature
for a bug ticket, do some code, push it to gerrit for review and ONLY finish the git flow
feature once its passed the review.