maven-users mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven release:prepare and NOT creating SNAPSHOTs
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:39:58 GMT
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Neil Hart <neilahart@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to run release:prepare without creating a new development
> version.  I don't always know the next version number when versioning the
> current build.  Later I could run release:branch (perhaps).  This is using
> Maven 2.2.1.
>
> I've tried a few of the properties in the release plugin without success.
>  Do I need to override the maven-release-manager some how?  Can this be
> done?

The next snapshot is just a best guess at the version number.
It doesn't really mean anything definite.
I'm not sure why you are trying to do this.

At release time, or some time later in development you might decide
that your change set requires a change in the major or minor version
numbers (i.e. its not just a patch update)
See http://semver.org/

The best guess that maven-release-plugin uses is the version number
(Major.Minor.Patch) upgraded to Patch+1-SNAPSHOT

What you DEFINITELY don't want to do is NOT increase the version number.
Once you release your artifact it SHALL NEVER CHANGE.
If its borked, you need to spin a new release but never override the
just released one.

If you want to give some sort of "QA" or sanity check on a release
before letting it loose in the wild, then you need to consider a
repository manager that uses a staging area.
You release to the staging area, the people doing the sanity check
pull in from your temporary staging area, do their checks, and once
the green light is given the artifact is promoted out of staging into
the proper release area.  This lets you re-spin with the same version
number because you never publicly released the artifact.

Hopefully this helps.