maven-users mailing list archives

From Benjamin Bentmann <benjamin.bentm...@udo.edu>
Subject Re: metadata.xml
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 15:06:12 GMT
Gracia, Adrien wrote:

> The problem we are having, is that even if there is a new version of a SNAPSHOT, the
newer version is not downloaded.
> [...]
> The way we understood the format of this file is as follow
>
> <metadata>
> <groupId>the group id</groupId>
> <artifactId>the artifact id</artifactId>
> <versioning>
> <versions>
> <version></version>
> <version></version>
> <version></version>
> </versions>
> <lastUpdated>the formatted timestamp of the most up to date version</lastUpdated>
> </versioning>
> </metadata>

This file actually exists at different levels of the repository, having
a different format/contents at each level.

maven-metadata.xml at the groupId level serves plugin prefix mappings,
metadata at the groupId:artifactId level serves version range resolution
and metadata at the groupId:artifactId:version level supports SNAPSHOT
resolution.

The format you pasted actually describes groupId:artifactId level
metadata. To investigate issues with SNAPSHOT resolution, you need to
look at the metadata of this format:

<metadata>
   <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
   <artifactId>maven-aether-provider</artifactId>
   <version>3.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
   <versioning>
     <snapshot>
       <timestamp>20101004.110147</timestamp>
       <buildNumber>62</buildNumber>
     </snapshot>
     <lastUpdated>20101004110401</lastUpdated>
   </versioning>
</metadata>

During resolution of X-SNAPSHOT, Maven will read the maven-metadata.xml
for all configured remote repos, select the one having the
biggest/newest <lastUpdated> field, and finally resolve the artifact
X-<timestamp>-<buildNumber>.

> Now one question would be: Does the order of the version matter?

No.

Benjamin