maven-users mailing list archives

From EJ Ciramella <ecirame...@casenetinc.com>
Subject RE: Nested artifacts
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 19:12:46 GMT
Thanks all who have replied!

So the first part of the problem is the zip contains multiple rar files, but only one needs
to be unpacked and tinkered with.

You can't put a dependency on anything that doesn't exist when maven tries to validate the
poms and resolve the dependencies.  So what I ended up doing is just putting a dependency
unpack on the zip then later binding an ant call to unzip the rar.

What I don't want to have to do is say, "Ok, so we've decided to update this 3rd party thing,
now upload these 24 artifacts into nexus".  I'd rather say, "Ok, just zip it up and stuff
the whole thing up there".

Thanks again all - I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback!

P.S. - Maybe if/when I have absolutely nothing to do, I'll submit a patch that offers a recursive
unpacking of a given dependency with includes/excludes - that would have been the ultimate
solution for me ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Smoak [mailto:wsmoak@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:28 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Nested artifacts

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:19 PM, EJ Ciramella <eciramella@casenetinc.com> wrote:
> Is there a simple way to unpack a dependency then unpack an artifact that lives inside
that dependency?

> We have several third party utilities stored in Nexus and referenced as dependencies,
but I'd like to unpack a rar that is nested within a zip.

> Is there a maven 2 way or do I just rely on an ant task?

I would probably unpack the zip myself and deploy the rar artifacts to
the repository once, rather than trying to do it every time you build.

How frequently do the third party utilities change?

--
Wendy

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail and the information transmitted within including any
attachments is only for the recipient(s) to which it is intended and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of; or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please send the e-mail back
by replying to the sender and permanently delete the entire message and its attachments from
all computers and network systems involved in its receipt.