maven-users mailing list archives

From Marc Rohlfs <pomar...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Maven and Subversion.
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:41:21 GMT

On 20/04/11 13:55, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Marc Rohlfs<pomarize@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> I was just thinking a bit about this. You're facing different problems You
>> won't be able all at once:
>>
>> 1. You could create the releases of the sub modules independently (first
>> You'd have to create a release of the parent, using 'mvn release:prepare
>> release:perform -N').
>
> Not necessarily.  If that "parent" (in the directory with the svn
> externals) is only there as an aggregator for convenience, it never
> needs to be released.

I didn't involve the svn:externals idea into my thoughts, because it
would only work if the modules don't inherit from the parent. In most
multi-module projects (I've seen), modules do inherit parent
configurations. I You want to release a sub module, the release plugin
requests the parent to be released first - which might be achieved using
'mvn release:prepare release:perform -N'.

> The projects themselves could have some other parent, like a corporate
> level parent pom that controls versions, etc.
>
> A project can only declare one<parent>  but it's not 1:1.

You're right, but Maven discourages this:

[WARNING]
[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective
model for test:my-sub-module:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[WARNING] 'parent.relativePath' points at test:my-parent instead of
test:another-parent, please verify your project structure @ line 11,
column 11
[WARNING]
[WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they
threaten the stability of your build.
[WARNING]
[WARNING] For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support
building such malformed projects.
[WARNING]