maven-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Generic location for servlet-api.jar
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 22:12:16 GMT
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Kenneth Litwak <klitwak@apu.edu> wrote:

> The POM reference only says this of "provided":
> "provided - this is much like compile, but indicates you expect the JDK or a container
to provide it at runtime. It is only available on the compilation and test classpath, and
is not transitive."
> If this is supposed to tell me that Maven downloads it automatically, it's a rather cryptic
way of saying that.  In fact, I'd never guess that from this.  I don't like "magic" code.
 I'd rather put my jars in some location and make their existence explicitly known.

That page isn't trying to explain where the jar comes from, it's
explaining how it is used during the build.

Try this:  http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html

Echoing Manfred... if you want to be in total control, Maven is
probably not the right tool.  It's very opinionated software.

--
Wendy