maven-users mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: maven deploy module conditionally
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 18:41:19 GMT
On 01/06/2011 12:32 PM, Steve Cohen wrote:

> Of course, this requires that the commented-out modules stay as comments
> and not be inadvertently deleted. A better solution might be some sort
> of way of indicating this in the modules tag.
>
> Something like:
> <modules>
> <module>Module1</module>
> <stableModule>
> <groupID>com.whatever</groupID>
> <!-- default to groupID of this POM? -->
> <artifactId>Project2</artifactId>
> <version>2.0.5</version>
> <type>jar</type>
> </stableModule>
> <module>Module3</module>
> <modules>
>
> with the idea being that "stableModules" should be gotten from the
> repository rather than be built. This would enable the user to treat
> stable modules more like third party jars. When Project2 gets further
> development (and a SNAPSHOT version), this should be reflected by being
> made a module again.
>
> Anyway, such a feature would be of use to me. It reflects the social
> fact that reusable modular code that is used by more than one
> application may evolve within an organization over time.

Actually, that dependency-like syntax is totally unnecessary and confusing.

More like my commenting out approach would be simply:
<modules>
	<module>Module1</module>
	<stableModule>Module2></stableModule>
	<module>Module3</module>
<modules>

where <stableModule> is treated as a no-op, something that is expected
to be picked up as a dependency, and is just there as a place-holder for
some future release where it would become an unstable SNAPSHOT and
revert to a plain <module> when that happens.