maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: Reasonable use of profiles?
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 19:04:28 GMT

On Dec 10, 2010, at 1:30 PM, KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) wrote:

> Interesting.  This could go into the "build" project POM, but if a
> developer needed a custom list of modules, they could define that in
> their settings.xml.  I guess that could work for what I'm looking for.

It's not possible to put the <module> element in settings.xml, if that's what you are
thinking.  But given that you can specify multiple profiles for a build and individual profile
IDs can be used in multiple projects, you might consider making a different profile ID for
each root component that made sense to be selectable.  IntelliJ lets developers persistently
select profiles for a project, so it would not be hard to do an a la carte like this without
using settings.xml.

I am in the midst of getting Nexus and SVN to play nice from LDAP, so developer access can
be granted or revoked from a UI as a part of their master access profile.  Nexus privileges
can also be set up for "everything but source jars", so CI can publish source to Nexus but
not everyone can get it.

Nexus isn't hard to set up like this, but getting SVN to work through Atlassian Crowd for
fine-grained repository access still needs a little work it seems.  Definitely experiment
with this dummy projects before jumping in though, SVN authz is not a trivial setup to deploy,
get it working and confirm that there aren't leaks.