maven-users mailing list archives

From Zac Thompson <zac.thomp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Differences between Maven 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:19:39 GMT
On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Asmann, Roland <Roland.Asmann@adesso.at> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could someone tell me what the differences between 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0
> are? I am currently running on 2.0.9 and 2.0.10 (depending on the
> project) and I was wondering if I should start migrating.
>
> Currently I am not allowed to upgrade to 3.0 (a 2.x version is still
> mandatory), but maybe I could at least make a suggestion to switch to
> 3.0 -- depending on how big the migration would turn out to be.

http://maven.apache.org/release-notes-2.x.html

To sum up:
2.1 is broken
2.2 requires Java 1.5 and adds default execution IDs for plugins
3.0 is the new hotness: works just like 2.2 but better.

If you're already on Java 1.5 or later, then switching to 3.x may
actually be the easiest upgrade option because of the "better" part.
Your biggest work will probably be getting approval to update plugins
to v3-compatible versions.  Once you've done that (or while doing it),
I recommend that you attempt building all of your existing projects
with 3.0.1 and fix any errors or warnings; I'm pretty confident you
can safely do that while still doing official builds with 2.0.x.
Maven 3 warnings are usually about things you probably should fix
anyway.

I've been slowly migrating projects away from v2 for release builds,
but using v3 for all my working builds for some time now, without any
negative consequence so far.   An earlier reply mentioned Hudson, I
think to point out that Hudson does not yet support Maven 3 and that
is a meaningful obstacle for some people.  I'm using maven 2.2.1 for
CI builds with Hudson for that reason.  In my experience 3.0 is
*highly* backwards compatible from the user's perspective.