maven-users mailing list archives

From "Hauschel Fred Robert" <FredRobert.Hausc...@Cirquent.de>
Subject AW: AW: releas:perform with profiles fails
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:06:17 GMT
Hi Ron,
thank you very much for your hint!
We are actual converting a "historical" ant builded project to maven.
Profiles are really a bad way to solve our problems, but in the moment it is "a way" to get
the whole stuff running and be able to provide a release.

Providing configuration is just one problem, that we actually solve with profiles!
The major problem is to provide separate different dependencies for m2Eclipse and tomcat in
the webapps.
We solve this with profiles and properties:

parentPom:

	<profiles>
		<profile>
			<id>container</id>
			<properties>
				<scope>provided</scope>
			</properties>
		</profile>
		<profile>
			<id>eclipse</id>
			<activation>
				<activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
			</activation>
			<properties>
				<scope>compile</scope>
			</properties>
		</profile>
	</profiles>

ModulePom:
	<profiles>
		<profile>
			<id>dependencies</id>
			<activation>
				<activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
			</activation>
			<dependencies>
				<dependency>
					<groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
					<scope>${scope}</scope>
				</dependency>
				<dependency>
					<groupId>xyz<groupId>
					<artifactId>xyz_common</artifactId>
					<scope>${scope}</scope>
				</dependency>
			</dependencies>
		</profile>
	</profiles>

That works for now, but we are not really happy yet!
We will provide all dependencies in tomcat/lib so we actual have all dependencies "provided"
in our libraries.
So each webApp have to define it's dependencies (again), transitive dependencies are "switched
off".
The other way would be to use the default (compile) dependencies in the libraries and exclude
all transitive dependencies for production build.

Any better idea ?

Fredy

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----